Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Stepfather (Remake) -Review-


CAST

Dylan Walsh as David Harris
Sela Ward as Susan Harding
Penn Badgley as Michael Harding
Amber Heard as Kelly Porter

Plot

The Stepfather is about a delusional man with old fashion family
values with absolutely no room for error. Should you disappoint
him he may just re-paint your cute little house in your blood!

Review

I just want to start off with saying that i really liked the original version of The Stepfather. So like with any remake i watch, especially if i liked the original i am going to watch with a critical eye. I dont expect a remake to be an exact copy of its original predecesser, because that would just kinda be pointless. But what i do expect in a remake is for it to capture the essence of the original and not go off to much of its orginality or add to much or take from the main character in the remake. For example of this Rob Zombies remakes. So with that being said i would say the film held true to the story, right down to how the original started out. Man kills current family, and is changing his identity and ready to move on to the next poor victims family. And the fact that they kept this Stepfather in the reality business also. But not for long as he starts to get nervous when they insist that he fill out his paperwork for tax purposes etc. Now what i didn't like about this movie was the fact that they didn't include the creepy little whistling jingle "camptown lady sing this song do da, do da". I mean come on now, that was such a huge factor to the Stepfather in the original its what helped to make him so eerily creepy. That's like taking the "ki,ki,ki.. ma, ma, ma" out of Friday the 13th. So for me in my opinion that was a big disappointment. I also didn't think that this Stepfather was very convincing in his moments of rage and agitated phases. I just wasn't feeling the "oh shit" factor when he would get upset. I also didn't think he captured that villianistic charm or the evil smoothness of situations when they would go bad. Not like Terry O'Quinns version. I thought the prepping of the plans to kill this family and move on again was a bit bland also. Its like, well let me call the newspaper company and cancel my subscription because in doing that no one will be able to track me down. WTF? lol Pop in some colored contacts and shave and no one will find me. And even tho the movie lead you to believe he was changing the color of his hair, it didn't look any different to me. So things like that in the movie seemed really silly to me. It wouldn't if it were more believable and had some real convincing cause to back it. I also think there were just to many kids in this family to keep track of. Originally the Stepfather tended to seek out single mothers with one child. Which worked better in my opinion. But i don't want to give to much away since this is a newer movie. It is worth a watch despite the lack of intensity of the main character. And if you like Lifetime suspense movies then this is the movie for you! Kinda has that feel to it i think.


Clip

No comments:

Post a Comment